Industrial and Information Engineering PhD Programme
Objectives and Themes
The IIE-PhD programme offers scientific and technological research training aimed at the study and design of new concepts, systems, devices and production processes where mechanical, electrical, electronic, information technology and management aspects are dealt with in a holistic approach, so as to be effectively applied to the development of new technologies.
PhD Structure and Management
Have a concise overview of the structure and organisation of the IIE-PhD programme. In general, PhD applicants and fellows should always refer to the official and legally binding document Regolamento per i Corsi di Dottorato di Ricerca, which specifies the rules and procedures of all Doctoral Programmes at the Università degli Studi di Udine.
COLLABORATION AND RELATIONSHIPS
Applied and industrial training
The IIE-PhD programme is closely connected to the private and industrial research sectors. This can be clearly seen through the collaboration with Friuli Innovazione and through the established relationships with a large number of enterprises, industries and private research centres, which have led to collaboration agreements with the Dipartimento Politecnico di Ingegneria e Architettura.
In particular, the collaboration with Friuli Innovazione is focused on:
- promotion and dissemination in private research centres, industries and small and medium size enterprises of the research activities carried out by PhD fellows;
- technology transfer of applied research activities carried out by PhD fellows in private research centres, industries and small and medium size enterprises;
- fund raising for PhD and post-doc projects.
The Dipartimento Politecnico di Ingegneria e Architettura, boasts more than 20 collaborations with local and international enterprises, industries, private research centres, which support scientific and technological activities of the Department and in particular PhD activities.
In general, the collaborating industries and enterprises finance or co-finance PhD activities through PhD grants or research fellowships, also sponsoring laboratory material and instrumentation or providing financial support to PhD fellows for research periods abroad in highly qualified research centres or for participation at international conferences.
Job opportunities after PhD
Over the years, the IIE-PhD programme has given the opportunity to fellows to pursue a variety of working careers in the following directions:
- Employment in electronic components industries, advanced software design industries, telecommunications, mechanics, industrial automation and tertiary industries.
- Employment in production and tertiary enterprises requesting skills in production management, procurement and commercial exchange.
- Employment in businesses working in advanced sectors requiring skills in IT, electronic and mechanical programming through models of complex processes;
- Scientific career in national and international universities, in Institutes of Advanced Education, in Research Centres and national and international laboratories, in particular within the EU.
- Teaching in Secondary Schools.